Education is the ticket to success for every aspiring young person. For those who want to pursue higher education, we need to rein in the skyrocketing costs of tuition and provide grants and loans that will ease that burden. For those who seek the technical skills to launch a career, we must develop apprenticeships and other workforce training opportunities.
Public Service Loan Forgiveness Act (Became Law 2007)
- Provides reduced monthly payments and full forgiveness of federal student loans where graduates devote ten years to public service.
Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act (H.R.1434)
- Would allow undergraduate, graduate and parent borrowers to refinance student loans to competitive rates, reducing monthly payments and helping borrowers repay loans sooner.
FOR The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (Became Law 2014)
- Reauthorizes the Workforce Investment Act through 2020, streamlining federal job-training programs and providing a network of 3,000 one-stop centers and training providers.
FOR Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act
- Reauthorizes the Perkins CTE program to support the development of career and technical skills among secondary and postsecondary students.
FOR Simplifying the FAFSA application down to a two page form.
FOR Income Based Repayment Program.
- Caps qualifying monthly education loan payments to no more than 10 or 15% of your monthly income.
FOR The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) (Became Law 2016)
- New federal education law that replaces the No Child Left Behind Law. ESSA provides important federal resources, maintains accountability expectation for student achievement, while granting greater discretion to local school districts in reaching those goals.
* * * *
Congressman John Sarbanes has been endorsed by the The National Education Association.